MetaMask Tutorial | What is Metamask and How to Use it
What is MetaMask?
MetaMask is an extension for Chrome, Firefox, Opera and Brave that allows you to use decentralized applications (DAPPs) easily in your browser. It is currently only compatible with DAPPs built on top of the Ethereum network, but this is not much of a problem since the vast majority are.
Metamask is super easy to use, and makes using DAPPs as simple as just browsing the web. The extension integrates the Ethereum network with web pages, allowing you easily and safely make transactions, manage online identities and store crypto. Think of it like a wallet built into your browser. Let’s go into a little more detail about how to install and use MetaMask below.
How To Use MetaMask: A Beginners Guide
In this MetaMask guide we will go through the steps required to setup MetaMask on Chrome, though it will be much the same if you are installing on another browser. So, let’s get to it!
Stage 1: Install MetaMask Browser Extension
- Go to the Chrome Web Store MetaMask page, or the Metamask website if you want to find the extension for other browsers.
- In the window that opens, click ‘Add to Chrome’ and then ‘Add Extension’ in the second window that pops up.
- MetaMask will then begin a short download and then automatically appear in the top right corner of your navigation bar as a small fox icon. Congratulations, you just installed MetaMask!
Stage 2: Set Up a New MetaMask Wallet
- Click the MetaMask icon in the top right corner of your browser, then read and accept the terms and conditions.
- Create a secure password and back it up. We recommend using a secure password manager such as Last Pass to generate a random password and store it securely.
- The next window will show you your 12 word seed, which is the only way you can restore your wallet if you forget your password or your device is stolen. So it is super important to take a physical copy as a backup, as well as store it in a password manager. Tip: if you forget your seed but still have access to your wallet you can find it by clicking settings in the top right.4. You just created your MetaMask wallet! Now to add funds to your wallet so you can begin interacting with DAPPs.
Stage 3: Send Ethereum to a MetaMask Wallet
- Click the 3 dots next to your account name (Account 1 below) and select ‘Copy Address to Clipboard’.
- Head over to an exchange and buy some Ethereum, or else if you already own some or have some Ether stored on a wallet, send it to the address.
- Your balance will then update in roughly 5 – 15 minutes, depending on how busy the network is, and the transaction will appear in your history.
Stage 4: Buy Ethereum with MetaMask
- You can also buy Ethereum with Metamask via Coinbase (USA only) or convert other crypto using ShapeShift. To do this, click the ‘Buy’ button on your wallet and select either Coinbase or ShapeShift.
- If you select to buy Ethereum on MetaMask with Coinbase, you will be redirected to a page where you need to enter the amount. Next enter your email and password and buy your Ethereum. It will then appear in your MetaMask wallet.
- To exchange crypto on MetaMask using Shapeshift, select the currency you want to exchange from the drop down menu. Then scroll down and enter the address you want to fund the exchange from, then hit ‘Submit’.
Stage 4: Send Ethereum to Another Wallet with MetaMask
- Open the Metamask wallet and click the ‘Send’ button, then enter the recipient address and the amount. Click the ‘Next’ button, confirm the details and then submit your transaction.
- The amount will then be minused from your wallet and will show up in your transaction history.
That’s it for now! With your MetaMask wallet setup you can now browse and interact with DAPPs all through your browser. This is a new project and the development team are great at introducing new updates. As such, we will be sure to update this article with any new releases. Feel free to post any questions in the comments below and we will be happy to help!